On December 22, 2021, Mark McClardy, the FAA Director of Airports Division for the Western Pacific Region, sent the following Notice of Informal Investigation Under 14 CFR 13.1.
The letter included a series of eight attachments which are included below.
- December 13, 2021, Aviation Industry Group Complaint Letter
- October 18, 2021, E16 Complaint Letter (Marshall, Neal, and Other E16 Pilots)
- October 8, 2021, RHV Complaint Letter (Gyger, Watson, McDonald)
- February 19, 2021, Letter to the Board of Supervisors
- March 10, 2020, Runway Safety Action Team Action Plan
- February 28, 2020, Letter to the Board of Supervisors President Joe Simitian
- October 18, 2019, Letter to the Board of Supervisors President Joe Simitian
- August 27, 2019, RHV Site Visit Letter
On January 4, 2022, Mark McClardy with the FAA sent the following letter with a request for additional information.
On January 11, 2022, the County submitted the following response to the FAA in regards to their letters of December 22, 2021, and January 4, 2022.
On January 26, 2022, Victor Globa from the FAA requested the Peer Review comments from the Zahran Study. On January 27, 2022, they were provided.
On January 27, 2022, the County sent the attached supplement to its January 11, 2022 letter to Mark McClardy of the FAA.
On January 31, 2022, Natalia Ospina from the Natural Resources Defense Council submitted the attached letter to Mark McClardy of the FAA.
On February 3, 2022, Brian Armstrong of the FAA sent the following letter to complainants listed on the Part 13 investigation offering them the opportunity to provide a written rebuttal to the County's response letters of January 11 and January 27, 2022.
On February 22, 2022, Brain Armstrong of the FAA sent the following letter requesting additional information from the County.
On February 24, 2022, the County submitted a letter to the FAA requesting additional time to respond to the February 22, 2022 request.
On March 1, 2022, Brian Armstong of the FAA responding to the February 28th letter granting the County additional time.
On March 9, 2022 several key members of the FAA and DOT met with the County Executive team to discuss the Part 13 investigation and fueling at RHV and E16. Subsequent to that meeting, FAA Deputy Administrator Bradley Mims sent this letter to the County
On May 12, 2022 construction plans were submitted to the San Francisco Airport District Office for review. These plans are intended to address the airfield signage concerns previously identified by the FAA in a number of correspondences.
The County has responded to most of the concerns identified by the FAA in their Dec. 22, 2021 letter through additional correspondence that was not included in the attachments to the FAA Part 13 notification letter. For clarity, the additional FAA correspondence, County response, and other referenced documents are included below.
- October 1, 2021, County Response to FAA Letters of September 14, 2021
- September 14, 2021, FAA Letter to County Regarding 1/14/21 and 2/19/21 Letters
- February 19, 2021, FAA Letter to County Regarding RHV Conditions
- January 14, 2021, FAA Letter to County Regarding Property Release Requests
- October 9, 2020, Letter to FAA Regarding Status of County's Property Release Request
- November 8, 2019, Letter to FAA with County's Response to FAA Letter of 10/18/2019
- September 19, 2019, Letter to FAA for Property Release